The Split Nautical High School was founded by an
Imperial Decree in 1849. Such Nautical High Schools already existed in
Trieste and Rijeka. At the same time Nautical High Schools were also established
in Zadar, Dubrovnik and Kotor.
The first academic year began on March 1, 1850. Pictured
above is the first page of the 1849/50 class book. At the beginning , the
school was located in the Dominican Monastery near the so-called Silver
Gate of the Roman Imperial Palace. After reorganization in 1852, the school
became an annex of the Junior Grammar School and in 1862 of a Grammar School
located in the centre of Split, which is in existence today. Nine students
were enrolled in the first academic year.
The school was closed on September 24, 1874. However,
in the 1925/26 school year, the Marine Engineering Department was opened
within the Technical Secondary School in Split. In 1959, the Split Nautical
High School was opened again with three departments: Nautical, Marine Engineering
and Naval Architecture. In 1963, the school was moved to the present location.
Presently, the school has the following departments: Nautical, Marine Engineering,
Forwarding Agents and Mariculture.
One of the five students who graduated from this
school in 1869/70 was Juraj Caric (bottom, left), a writer and a researcher,
a seaman in theory and practice, a scientist engaged in the development
of seamanship, maritime politics and education. The school's training ship
was named for him.
In 1874, Juraj Caric was a cadet on the barque Jader
If you want to know more about The town of Split, Diocletian's Imperial
Palace or the 1700 year anniversary of Split, click on the city coat of